Piloting Class Offered by Tri-Cities Boating Club
WHEN: Monday nights Sept 18th through Nov 20th, 6:00PM – 8:00PM
WHERE: North East State Community College Library, Room L106
COST: $75 USPS Members, $125 non-members. Cost includes 2 textbooks, plotter, dividers, instructions to download a marine navigation program and the exam.
WHO: Anybody with a desire to learn how to navigate a boat. Piloting is the first course in the sequence of USPS courses on navigation, covering the basics of coastal and inland navigation. This course focuses on navigation as it is done on recreational boats today and embraces GPS as a primary navigation tool while covering enough of traditional techniques so the student will be able to find his/her way even if their GPS fails. The course involves many in-class exercises, developing the student’s skills through hands-on practice and learning including:
• Charts and their interpretation
• Navigation aids and how they point to safe water
• Plotting courses and determining direction and distance
• The mariner’s compass and converting between True and Magnetic
• Use of GPS – typical GPS displays and information they provide, setting up waypoints and routes, staying on a GPS route.
• Pre-planning safe courses and entering them into the GPS
• Monitoring progress and determining position by both GPS and traditional techniques such as bearings and dead reckoning
• The “Seaman’s Eye” – simple skills for checking
For more information and to register, please contact: Rich Moakler, (423)646-2938 or email Rich at email@example.com